Our Shared Beliefs
• Family networks and family directed groups are dedicated to fostering the strengths,
dreams, competencies and enthusiasm of their member families to create inclusive, caring
lives for all their members.
• Informed, involved and confident families are the most effective agents for social change.
• Parents and people with disabilities are an essential source of expertise with respect to their
son or daughter, to each other, and to the community as a whole.
• Individuals with disabilities are part of the community and as part of the community have
valuable gifts and contributions to make.
• Individuals with disabilities must be included and must lead in all decisions that affect any
part of their lives.
• All children, regardless of disability, should grow up with families and have enduring
• Meaningful involvement of families and individuals with disabilities is an integral part of
levels of decision-making with respect to services and supports.
• Families have the confidence and assurance that their family member will have
individualized, flexible, life-long supports to enable them to live valued, productive lives
• All children have the right to quality, inclusive education.
• Family directed groups receive ongoing !nancial support to ensure they can provide safety
net of mutual support for families.
• Be a strong family voice for change.
• Support individuals and families in building their capacity toward achieving inclusion.
• Ensure that support for people with disabilities includes the options of choice and
portability through self-directed, individualized funding.
• Support the work of local family directed groups, and encourage new ones to develop.
By joining FAO you will:
- Belong to a well respected, family based, not-for-profit organization.
- Stay informed, increase your knowledge and advocacy skills.
- Help promote choice and control of supports.
- Receive email updates and news of FAO initiatives and networking opportunities.
- Have opportunities to nominate Board members and vote at our Annual General Meeting.
- Enjoy preferential rates at events sponsored by FAO.
- Help FAO speak with stronger support when representing families to Developmental Services.
For a small annual fee of $25. or what ever you can contribute, you can help us make a positive difference in the lives of families across Ontario.
Your financial contribution helps support organizational expenses and the volunteer efforts of Board Members to represent the family voice.
To become a member of Family Alliance Ontario, please complete an application below.