Family Alliance Ontario is an alliance of citizens that offers knowledge, tools and networking opportunities to individuals with disabilities and their families to assist them to realize a vision that includes having valued relationships, choice and control in their lives, and enables inclusion through meaningful contribution and participation in their communities.
Family Alliance Ontario Accord
Our Shared Beliefs
- Family networks and family directed groups are dedicated to fostering the strengths, dreams, competencies and enthusiasm of their member families to create inclusive, caring lives for all their members.
- Informed, involved and confident families are the most effective agents for social change.
- Parents and people with disabilities are an essential source of expertise with respect to their son or daughter, to each other, and to the community as a whole.
- Individuals with disabilities are part of the community and as part of the community have valuable gifts and contributions to make.
- Individuals with disabilities must be included and must lead in all decisions that affect any part of their lives.
- All children, regardless of disability, should grow up with families and have enduring lifelong relationships.
- Meaningful involvement of families and individuals with disabilities is an integral part of levels of decision-making with respect to services and supports.
- Families have the confidence and assurance that their family member will have individualized, flexible, life-long supports to enable them to live valued, productive lives in their community.
- All children have the right to quality, inclusive education.
- Family directed groups receive ongoing financial support to ensure they can provide safety net of mutual support for families.
- Be a strong family voice for change.
- Support individuals and families in building their capacity toward achieving inclusion.
- Ensure that support for people with disabilities includes the options of choice and portability through self-directed, individualized funding.
- Support the work of local family directed groups, and encourage new ones to develop.
Board of Directors 2014-2015 Cindy Mitchell
Whitby Joyce Balaz
London Susan Popper
Newmarket Sandra Mothersell
Durham Vici Clarke Kingston Bonnie Heath Toronto Bill Hiltz London Karen Inwood Whitby Sue Irving Unionville Diana Brammal Highgate